How To Care For Natural Opal Jewelry
If you are lucky enough to have natural opal jewelry, you know that taking good care of it is essential. Opal jewelry is delicate and requires specialized care in order to maintain its beauty and luster. Here are some tips to help you keep your opal jewelry looking its best.
1. Avoid getting your opal jewelry wet. Water, soap and chemicals can all damage the opal, causing it to fade or discolor. If you need to clean your opal jewelry, use a soft, lint-free cloth and a mild solution of water and dish soap.
2. Store your opal jewelry properly. Opal is a soft stone and can easily be scratched or abraded. Thus, it’s important to store it in a soft pouch or container with a lining that will cushion it from other jewelry. Avoid storing your opal jewelry in a tightly packed jewelry box, as this can cause abrasion from contact with other jewelry.
3. Inspect your opal jewelry regularly. Look for signs of abrasion or damage, and check for any visible chips or cracks. If you see any, it’s important to have your opal jewelry inspected by a professional to determine the extent of the damage and whether or not it can be repaired.
4. Have your opal jewelry professionally cleaned and polished. It’s important to have your opal jewelry professionally cleaned and polished every few months to keep it looking its best. An experienced jeweler will be able to clean and polish your opal jewelry without damaging it. Make sure you ask the jeweler to use a soft cleaning cloth and a mild cleaning solution.
5. Avoid extreme temperatures. Opal can be damaged by extreme heat or cold, so it’s important to keep it away from sources of extreme temperatures.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your opal jewelry stays looking beautiful and sparkling for years to come. With proper care and maintenance, your opal jewelry will be a cherished part of your jewelry collection for many years to come.